Monday, September 26, 2011

Mode Merr and the Most Wonderful Time of the Year!

Good Afternoon Dear Readers,

Halloween Pin Up
   The last few weeks, I have been struggling with an impending move as well as finding a job. Needless to say things have been a little stressful. But in times like this it is important to have family and friends that love you and are there to help. It doesn't hurt to have something to look forward to as well. For me, that something is Halloween. 


   Halloween is my most favoritest holiday. I look forward to it all year long. My house is full of bats, gargoyles, pumpkins and all things Halloween as part of its decor. It helps that the Piratical Boyfriend's birthday is October 30th and Halloween is his favorite day of the year as well. Generally, I think about my costume as well as plans for that all important day all year long. I don't know about you, but I try to make or piece together my costume with things from my existing wardrobe. Last year for example, I got a bridesmaid's dress from Savers (that is a fantastic thrift store for those of you who don't know). I ripped out the tacky beading and sequins on the bodice, made some satin black bows, affixed them to some rouching along strategic parts of the hem to expose the tulle underneath. I made a bouquet and veil and styled my hair into a sort of beehive with some white streaks. The Piratical Boyfriend did my make up....and low and behold, I was Bride of Frankenstein. Of course the Piratical Boyfriend was Frankenstein's  Monster. I don't have any of the pictures from that day handy, but if you are interested in seeing it, here is a link: http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=445044476019&set=t.1273880979&type=3&theater

This year's potential Halloween costume
   Sometimes what happens is I plan a costume around one special piece alone. This year's piece is a gray top hat. I have been desperate for a top hat for years and early this summer, I found a great top hat at a yard sale in addition to a pair of knee-high black Dr. Marten boots. Later on I wound up scoring a discontinued, red, Mode Merr, sleeveless dress at The Garment District. And so Dear Readers, this year's Halloween costume was born. The red Mode Merr dress will be paired with a black bolero I got on sale at Hootenanny last Spring and the top hat and stompy Dr. Martens. In addition to that, I made a mustache out of wire mesh, polymer clay and acrylic paint. That will go on a ribbon around my neck instead of drawing on a mustache. My hair will be slicked down and in a bun at the nape of my neck so the top hat fits properly. Basically, I will be a feminine version of the traditional Circus Ring Leader.


Traditional Ring Leader
   
    But my ideas didn't end there. I thought maybe I could be Little Red (or Dead) Riding Hood. Add a basket and a cape to the dress and I am all set. I started looking at my Mode Merr Peasant Tops and thought, maybe those could be used for a Gypsy, Pirate, Wench or Barmaid costume (paired with a flowing skirt, some big hoop earrings and a head scarf). A Mode Merr Perfect Skirt (with some spectacles and a tight fitting sweater and favorite book) easily becomes a Naughty Librarian. Maybe you just want to be a non-descript Pin-Up or a character from Mad Men. Whatever it is, I'm pretty sure you can find it with Mode Merr.



Classic Witch?
Absinthe Witch?
   Just about any of Mode Merr's dresses can, with very few accessories, become a Witch costume. Go to A.C. Moore, pick up a small doll witch hat, add a comb or clip to it, decorate it, and you are good to go.





    Get the new Tarzan top. Angela has designed it to be one-shouldered and leopard fabric. Be Jane. Be Bettie Page. Be a Prehistoric Cave-woman. Just know that you will look fabulous doing it.
Jungle Bettie Page
Tarzan Top



Cowgirl
Sailor Girl
   If you want to be a Cowgirl, Mode Merr has a fantastic skirt with a horseshoe on it. Pair it with our Fitted Bandanna or Checkered Peasant Top and maybe a hat, star pin, toy gun and cowboy boots and you are ready. What if you want to be a Sailor Girl? Mode Merr has a solution to that too. How about our Anchor Skirt? Throw on a sailor hat...maybe a rope bracelet. Instant Sailor. Just add water!!

    The beauty of all of this, is that not only will you have a stunning Halloween costume, but you also have an outfit or part of an outfit that you can wear to a multitude of other events and situations. Instead of spending money on one of those prepackaged costumes and never using it again, you are saving your hard earned cash. What are you going to be for Halloween this year? I'd love to read about your ideas.


Until next time, Dear Readers. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment