Saturday, September 3, 2011

What to Wear with Mode Merr

Dear Readers,
The author, ready to go to a job interview. 
   
   I was faced with a challenge this morning... What to wear to a job interview. I was tired of wearing the same black and white polka dotted dress and thought, what would go with gray skinny pants? Of course, a black Mode Merr peasant top! Much to my delight, it really did look fantastic. (See the picture to the right, but please do ignore the orbs, they tend to follow me around.) Granted, I was going for what I did not realize was a "working interview". Sure, I looked great, but running around a yard in heels and finger painting wearing such amazing clothes, was perhaps not the best idea. (It was a nannying interview.) Hind sight is 20/20, after all. Luckily, there was no casualties or paint splatter. But this brings us to the real question...What do your wear with Mode Merr? Of course, the best thing to wear is simply more Mode Merr. But what if you only have bottoms or tops, or just one piece (what a horrifying thought!) or what if the coordinating piece is in the laundry? What to do then?

The author, rocking Mode Merr and Banana Republic
I resolved this problem early on in my affair with Mode Merr. I had one red skirt (completely horrifying). That was all. I liked pairing it with either black or white tops as there was black and white in the jaguar design. In the image to the left, I have paired a black Banana Republic sleeveless summer top. I have also used a black halter top, and a white top that was quite fitted with twists at the bust and on the sides. When I pair tops with Mode Merr skirts, I tend to stick with form fitting styles. I would avoid baggier looks (unless it was one of those bat wing tops) and definitely avoid t-shirts. Cute spaghetti strap tank tops work as do fitted long sleeve tops or blouses. 

What about those cute Mode Merr tops? I have paired Peasant Tops (the only Mode Merr tops I own) with skirts that were not Perfect Skirts, but were similar, as in they were high waisted pencil skirts. This summer I also wore Peasant Tops with capris. This look has a completely retro 1950's feel to it. Lately, with the impending Fall, I have taken to wearing Peasant Tops with skinny jeans and heels. You really cant go wrong with this look at all. The finished outfit has a very stream-lined look to it. For this reason, I would suggest not wearing bell-bottom, boot cut, or trouser cut pants. I feel as though they do not offer a balanced look.  And of course we have what I did this morning. The top was my newest Mode Merr piece and the pants were Guess Skinny pants with zippers on the back of the leg. Too cute!


Don't be afraid to mix it up a little. Mode Merr's style is kinda retro. Try finding some vintage pieces (thrift and consignment stores are great sources of vintage clothes as is Etsy) to go with your Mode Merr. Use main stream, modern pieces as well. As for color, match colors, contrast colors...whatever you like. Remember this is fashion and there is no one way to do it. Try a few styles out and go with whatever works for you. It is your body after all. You don't have to follow any of my suggestions. This is what works for me and my body. I will leave your art up to you.


Don't forget, the Mode Merr Fall Fashion Spectacular will be on September 10th, (do you realize that that is exactly a week away?) 1pm to 6pm at Church in the Fenway area.


And one more thing...
"The BUST Magazine Craftacular will be held outdoors at the New York Hall of Science, on the site of the original World's Fairgrounds in Queens, NY when it joins the second annual World Maker Faire New York. In addition to over 50 crafty vendors, the event will offer a line-up of amazing DJs, hands-on crafting demonstrations, food from around the city, and lots of fun. 

World Maker Faire is a newfangled outdoor fair that brings together science, art, craft, engineering, and music in a fun, energized, and exciting public forum. The family-friendly event showcases the amazing work of all kinds of makers and the DIY spirit! For more information about World Maker Faire New York, visit makerfaire.com." -Bust Magazine 

Guess who is going to be there? Yes, Angela will be there! (You are so smart!) She will have a Mode Merr booth and will be selling her gorgeous designs. For those of you in the area or for those of you that want to go on a road trip that weekend, check it out!


Until next time. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment