Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Mode Merr... A History

Good Morning dear Readers, on this dreary day,

      Recently, while on the phone with Angela, I told her that for the longest time after I discovered her line that I was pronouncing it's name incorrectly. I insisted that it was pronounced Mode Mare. This is what sounded right to me. 

A mare is a horse, silly girl, not a fashion line!
     I had popped into the now extinct "Horror Business" in Allston one day and started talking to the sales girl about Mode Merr (pronouncing it all the while as Mare). The girl had met Angela and agreed with me about the fabulousness and versatility of the clothing. As we continued our conversation I noticed that she said, "Mode Mirr" (emphasis on the rrr). I didn't correct her and she didn't correct me. But she did give me something to think about.

    At home that evening I told the piratical boyfriend what had happened. Could it be that I, a former English Teacher, had been pronouncing Merr wrong this entire time? We both agreed that Mare sounded much better than Mirr. And I was happy.

    Fast forward to this past June. I am in the Mode Merr studio doing some serious shopping only to hear Angela say, "Mode Mirr". Not wanting to question Angela and certain that she knew how to pronounce her company's name, I, from that day on, pronounced it correctly...Mode Mirr. Only when the piratical boyfriend and I were in the car driving back to Boston, did I admit defeat.
 
     After Angela and I had a good laugh about my confusion with Merr/Mare/Mirr, I asked her, just exactly what did the words, "Mode Merr" mean? "Well, Mode means fashion," and then a lot of laughter, "Merr started in High School." I felt a story coming on. Angela's parents allowed her to be herself growing up, which meant she could dye her hair and wear all the interesting, fun clothing that she wanted to. (I'd like to give a shout out to Mr. and Mrs. Zampell for being cool and progressive parents and giving us the super-cool lady that is Angela.) Apparently, Angela went to a rather preppy High School, with less than kind class mates. You can imagine what went on. Angela, instead of telling her tormentors to just, "Fuck off," chose the high road and retorted to their harassment with, "Merr". 


   We had another good laugh about this. This lead into when Mode Merr was born. Angela started her clothing line in 1989 when she was still in High School. She started selling her clothing to Allston Beat on Newbury Street (where we coincidentally, years apart, both got our first pair of Dr. Martens). She even told me that she had a fake ID, not to drink, but to get into clubs, like Axis (do you remember Axis??) to sell her line. 


   Doesn't that story make you feel good? It has been 22 years and Mode Merr is still going strong. 

    And if you would like to go to the Mode Merr studios like I did, you can! (We ask that if you would like to visit, please call in advance.)
We are at:
1 Winter Street
Suite 3B
Rochester, NH 03867
Tel: 603.335.7875
Fax: 603.335.1790
 
    My final agenda for this morning is to remind you about the fashion show this weekend. Are you ready for it? (I am not. There is still hair to dye and nails to polish.) If I have not mentioned this before, we will have a Mode Merr boutique set up in Church for your shopping convenience. There will also be a $20 bargain section. (Who doesn't love that?)


    So remember, when you come to the Mode Merr Fall Fashion Spectacular this Saturday (September 10th) at Church, say Mirr!


Until next time. <3
   
 

No comments:

Post a Comment